SMS Kelantan as I Remember

This is a collection of stories and old photos of me, friends, teachers and events during my secondary school years (1975-79) at SMS Kelantan, which is now known as Sek Men Sains Tengku Muhammad Faris Putra. The school itself was started in 1973, and moved to the new campus in 1974 (you'll see grassless field in some pix!)

Best viewed using Morzilla Firefox!

Monday, March 05, 2007

My Class Teachers

Every year we had a different class teacher. In the same year, we may have more than one class teachers. My memory is fading, but I will try my best to remember some of them.

Form 1(1975)
Ku Abdul Lim- was our class teacher until he got a place to further his studies in USM. He was very nice and treated us like his own kids. We were sad when he had to leave but we were happy to know that he was going to increase his knowledge and qualification. We took a class picture just before he left.

I couldn't remember who replaced Cikgu Ku, but a friend thinks that it was Cikgu Mat Shaari, who was the Industrial Art teacher and if I am not mistaken, a warden too.


Form 2 (1976)
Mr Lye Kim Yong was our class teacher in 1976. He was into photography and it was him who shot the few photos that i put up here and here. There are a few others, but I have yet to locate them and scan them for this blog.

My Lye was the headmaster of a primary school in Melaka when he retired last year.


Form 3 (1977)
The same friend who remembers Cikgu Ashaari was our Form 1 class teacher thinks it was Cikgu Anuar, and I think she's right. Just imagine... He was our class teacher, and he was also our Mathematics teacher from Form 1 until Form 3!


Form 4 (1978)
Our class teacher then was the young and energetic Cikgu Hamdi. At that time he was still a single but engaged bachelor. When we were in form 5 (i think, or was it in form 4), my class, together with the PBSM organised a camping trip to Pantai Bisikan Bayu, in Semerak, Pasir Putih. Cikgu Hamdi was our accompanying teacher (the regulation then was that a male and a female teacher were required to accompany students in any trip or outing). I can't remember the female teacher/teachers who came with us. Maybe she or they were not so close to us :-(

We had campfire at night, and also played a lot of games (beach volleyball too!!). Cikgu was so sporting, and joined in most of the activities.

On Teacher's Day, the class played a prank on cikgu. That year, for the first time, the school gave a slot during the special assembly for each class to send a rep each up the stage to present their gifts to their class teachers and club's/society's teachers. While most classes sent their monitors to present the gifts, our class actually sent a convoy of THREE students up the stage!! one carried a small gift of pen (I think it was a Sheaffer or Papermate ball pen - the real gift), another carried a plaque with "Selamat Hari Guru" wish and the third carried a very big box -the biggest among the three!. So most students and teachers thought that Cikgu Hamdi was so lucky to receive SO MANY gifts from his class. What cikgu found out later was that the big box was filled with pieces of papers scribbled with personal messages from each of the students in the class, and nothing else!!!

Soon after the assembly, cikgu (who was the Koop teacher) took us to Koop and he gave us a treat of the "Zoo Cup" ice-creams!!! Well... I think it cost him 40sen each then (for 27 of us!!), but the fact that remains is that all of us still remember that special ice-cream!!! Very valuable ice-creams indeed!!

Cikgu Hamdi is now the principal of SMSultan Abdul Samad, Pulai Condong. If you are interested to get in touch with me, e-mail me for his telephone number.


Form 5 (1979)
Cikgu Ahmad Ibrahim was our final class teacher. A cool guy who teachers Bahasa Malaysia, he was also a father figure to us.


Cikgu has now retired. His daughter Mieza lives in Section 13 Shah Alam. At the end of 2005 (or was it 2004?), I met him at her place with another friend. I think the telephone number that I hold still belongs to him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home