SMS Kelantan as I Remember

This is a collection of stories and old photos of me, friends, teachers and events during my secondary school years (1975-79) at SMS Kelantan, which is now known as Sek Men Sains Tengku Muhammad Faris Putra. The school itself was started in 1973, and moved to the new campus in 1974 (you'll see grassless field in some pix!)

Best viewed using Morzilla Firefox!

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Cikgu Mohd Noor Hassan (now in JPN)

Cikgu during our batch's Raya do in the school canteen in 2001 (Zuhdi's Collection)

The next in the list of teachers who deserve special mention by me is Cikgu Mat Noor.

This is one teacher who NEVER taught my class, and yet I grew up to be close to him, somehow... I know some boys didn't like him, but if my memory is right, he was quite nice to the boys too, as early as 1975. He changed a bit in 1976 (in that sense), and through out the later part was not so much liked by the boys. I think his warden duties contributed significantly to the growth of dislike among boys. As with the girls, he was atill quite nice, since he didn't have to "deal" directly with us.

During the later years of my stay in the school, cikgu got engaged to Kak Mahani who was once a student of the school too (SPM 1976). They are somehow related and they got engaged only AFTER K Mahani left the school.

I think Cikgu was very well known for his contributions in hockey and scout. There was a time during my stay in the school that he was in charged of the dining hall.

Personally, I can't recall specific incidents that contributed to my closeness to him (none that I can mention here - though there were times when I was kind of a "confidant" to him ;-))
However, since I was a prefect then, and he was a warden, it was only natural that we became quite close, just like with Cikgu Bahar. During the warden days, if I'm not wrong, Cikgu Mat Noor and Cikgu Bahar were roommates (warden's room of Block A).

The first time I visited the school again (after form 5) was in 1983, I think. I still recognised the guard, though I doubt if he recognised me. I asked him a few questions about the school and teachers, including Cikgu Mat Nor.

When asked about Cikgu Mat Nor, Pak Guard told me the cikgu was at the canteen! So, in I went with my husband, and we met Cikgu Mat Nor. It was nice to see him again, and he talked fondly about his children, especiall his eldest, whom he called "Kak Long".

I was surprised to see Cikgu hardly changed in appearance. And, believe me, even until now, after almost 30 years, just like Cikgu Mahadzir, Cikgu Mat Nor doesn't look like he's aged more than a couple years!

Here's another pix of the same gathering which we use on the main page of our batch's e-group (smsk7579@yahoogroups.com:


To be continued...

1 Comments:

  • At December 17, 2006 4:14 AM, Blogger hilmy said…

    Cikgu Md. Noor was my scout master. I was the troop leader in 1978, replacing Pak Ya Cina who left school after form 5.

    When I was in form 2, I was about to quit scouting and thought of joining the school brass band instead. Cikgu Md Noor called me to his room and scolded me as if I've done something very wrong.
    He even 'warned' me that he would never talk to me again should I decided to leave the scout troop.

    Being an obedient student and a good scout,..:-). I made up my mind to listen to cikgu's advice, to continue being a scout until the end of my stay in SMSK.

    I never regret with that decision. What cikgu Md Noor did was right. Scouting had made me a better person.
    Terima kasih cikgu.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home