SMS Kelantan as I Remember

This is a collection of stories and old photos of me, friends, teachers and events during my secondary school years (1975-79) at SMS Kelantan, which is now known as Sek Men Sains Tengku Muhammad Faris Putra. The school itself was started in 1973, and moved to the new campus in 1974 (you'll see grassless field in some pix!)

Best viewed using Morzilla Firefox!

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Chinese New Year 1976

I can't remember what day it was, but what I still remember is that the students were allowed to go home and spend the weekend with their families, so the new year must have been on Wednesday or Thursday. Since about 90% of the students were either from Kelantan or the nearby Terengganu, most of them opted to go home to their families. Only some of the hard-working fifth formers stayed back together with students from interstates.

Having lost my mum just the year before, and with dad working in Singapore, I decided to join them. Some of the interstate girls who were close to me are:

From Selangor (1-yr my senior):
1. Faridah Salleh - hailed from Teluk Panglima Garang; once I saw her photo in the newspaper, a senior police officer.
2. Nurliza Ramli - or was she from negeri Sembilan? No news from her
3. Talmiah - Hailed from Bt Laut, near Morib beach, she now teaches in a nearby school. Met her a few years ago.

Others are:
1. Dayang Latifah Aban Atong - A Sarawakian, she's from my batch; have not met her since school days :-(
2. (the late) Sharifah Aloyah Alsagoff - my classmate then.
3. Kuah Gek Yam - another Sarawakian, also 1-yr my senior.

and a few more whom I've forgotten their names.

I don't think there were more than 20 of us in the girls' hostel that weekend, because I remember us bunking together in one or 2 dormitories only, instead of being scattered in several different dorms.

We didn't have weekly morning inspections, and we took our own sweet time to go to the dining hall for breakfast. I remember that we really had a great helping of half-boil eggs! I think we kind of had a competition of who could consume the most number of the eggs. I know I lost, but I did actually take 6 half-boiled eggs! Initially was fine, but later I felt so bloated! I guess this was due to the coagulation of the eggs in my tummy. I really learned my lesson, and since then, I never took more that 2 eggs, most of the time I either gave it a miss or took only one.

The girls managed to get me to join them to play badminton in the school hall (i had never played the game before, simply because I could not afford the racket). I have to admit that I was never good at the game anyway :-(

I remember that we also had some mixed-double games, or rather it was the girls who had the games with the boys with me watching :-)
In one of the matches, Sharifah's partner (can't remember who) accidentally hit her glasses with his racket and broke them when both of them were going after the shuttle. Sharifah had to be taken to the hospital. She came back later that day with a bandage on her eye, and told us that the surface of her eye was scratched! Since then I became too scared to play in the doubles again.

This blog doesn't have any pic :-( but the memory of the special weekend is very special. We bonded well and these students became my buddies for my train journey down south at the end of every school term, and journey back to school at the beginning of the terms, since soon after that I decided to go back to dad's place (in JB) for my school holidays.

5 Comments:

  • At February 15, 2008 4:44 PM, Blogger MrsNordin said…

    Hello BusyMum,

    I stumbled upon your blog by accident. You know what? I know (the late) Sharifah Aloyah through my husband, who were once married to her. It's amazing that I could actually she her school picture here in your blog! I almost cried! I'm sure the kids and my husband would be touched as well to see her photo!

    Go visit my blog for the real story behind all this! Then, keep in touch!

     
  • At September 18, 2008 1:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hello Mrs Nordin? I am Norita & just came across your comment in Sabar's blog. I was Sharifah's best friend when in SMSK before she left to continue in CBN,KL.I used to sleep over at her parents home whenever I visited KL. Later when I was studying in the US & she in UK, she actually made a trip to USA & diverted to our Univ town in Kansas to visit me.We met up again when she was serving Faber Group then thru a chance meeting with my husband then in Renong.We kept in touch till she had her own outfit in Ampang and I got to visit her house once.Feel guilty that through our busy lives we never met as often as good friends should have & only found out about her death when we were about to form our alumni for our batch.I am curious to her daughters...I don't think they can remember me cos they were still small when I last met them.I wonder how similar you could be to Intan...or total opposite...Post a pic....I'd like to say hi to their granny to if Sh. Sheikha's still alive.

     
  • At September 24, 2008 8:31 AM, Blogger MrsNordin said…

    Hi Norita,

    What a pleasant surprise! You must be good friends with her since you slept over at her parents' and all.

    Unfortunately, Sh. Sheikha has passed away in April last year. Even her real mother in Singapore also has passed on late last year (I've never met her). The only ones left from her side of her family (that I know of well) is kak Mahani.

    The girls are ok. The eldest is turning 19 this Nov and she's now in UiTM Shah Alam. The second one is 17, now sitting for her trial SPM. There's another boy, her youngest, who's 14 now (I don't know if you've met him).

    And with their father, I have one boy aged 2+. My only child, so far.

    On whether I'm similar to Intan or not, you have to figure it out yourself. I don't know if you've visited my blog, but if you have, you may find some clues as to my character. Personally, I think some things are similar while some are not..

    I do not want to hog Sabar's comment box. Suffice to say that I'm glad I know you (and Sabar) and I hope we all could meet up one day to exchange stories. What a start to my Wednesday morning!

    You take care now and have a nice day!

     
  • At September 25, 2008 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mrs. Nordin,

    Hi, I'm Nury, another classmate of Sabar, Ita and the late Sharifah. Sabar told me about you yesterday and I took some time to read your story about Mrs Nordin No.1. It was really sad that we never stayed in touch after she left SMSK. From your blog, I got some glimpse of her life before she passed on. TQ. Sabar, sorry, tumpang lalu.

     
  • At September 25, 2008 5:04 PM, Blogger MrsNordin said…

    Hi Nury,

    Nice to know another friend of hers. Like this, we all must really meet!

    I hope all of you live somewhere in KL or Selangor. As Sabar suggested, we can meet in KLCC. Just give me the date and time. Then perhaps another time, you all can come over to our house and meet the family.

    Thanks again & take care.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home