SMS Kelantan as I Remember

This is a collection of stories and old photos of me, friends, teachers and events during my secondary school years (1975-79) at SMS Kelantan, which is now known as Sek Men Sains Tengku Muhammad Faris Putra. The school itself was started in 1973, and moved to the new campus in 1974 (you'll see grassless field in some pix!)

Best viewed using Morzilla Firefox!

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Trip to a Batik Factory

Updated on 28/11/06:
In 1975, I had a chance to follow a group (I think it was organised by the Art Club) to visit a batik factory. 2 Mat Salleh teachers took the opportunity to follow us.

That was the first time I saw how batik sarung was made.

Here's one of the surviving pix:


And here's another one, with Mr Foster and Mr Potts (don't know which is which). Cikgu Bahar is at extreme right. Soon after the trip, Cikgu Bahar managed to get the Art Club to have its own batik-printing/drawing session.

One of the Mat Salleh teacher (I think it was the guy with the Afro hair style) once entered our 1 Alpha to relief another teacher who was absent, and he taught us some German phrases (like good morning, good day, I'm going to the cinema, etc..)! I thought that was cool....

2 Comments:

  • At January 16, 2008 10:39 AM, Blogger Howard said…

    Sabariah,

    I had an IM conversation and an e-mail exchange wih Tim Griggs concerning the photo of the two mat salleh's at the batik factory.

    Disucssing the photo thru IM, we couldn't decide whether the guy with the glasses is or is not Mike Potts. Potts had glasses, but he had sandy blond hair. (I have a couple of great pictures of Mike Potts back in Michigan, but I won't have access to them until I get back there [I hope] in April or so --- if things go according to my plan!)

    Unfortunately, Tim did not have Mike Potts' e-mail or current address. He apparently saw Mike Potts in Potts' native Scotland in 1979!

    We also speculated on the identity of the other mat salleh in the photo. We had no immediate ID for the person, but we both agreed that the only relatively tall, curly-haired OP (orang puteh) we knew there was Joel King, who lived in Pengkalan Chepa somewhere (and never came out his kampong). But the face doesn't look like Joel's, and Joel's hair was darker. (He eventually married another reclusive Peace Corps girl who served in Tanah Merah!)

    So unfortunately, we were unsuccessful in locating Mike Potts. Tim tried Googling various combinations of keywords that might have smoked up Mike Potts' whereabouts, but he was unsuccessful.

    However, Tim really enjoyed your Pantai Sabak picture. He lived there in one of the two beach houses at the end of the road. Both houses were owned by Azizah, the young woman who ran what we called "kedai Azizah" on the beach. In fact, Margaret (who's here in Aceh) rented a house from Azizah.

    Do you know of any forums or blogs (like your SMS blog) by people from SIC who were there in the mid-1970's? I'm sure Tim would love to participate if somebody's running a blog covering that immediate era of time.

    (In fact, I'm sure a lot of former Peace Corps, AVA (Aussies), VSO (Brits) and CUSO (Canadian) teachers would love to participate in such blogs and forums!)

    Congratulations on a fine blog. Keep up the good work, busymum100 ! --- Howard

     
  • At January 16, 2008 1:56 PM, Blogger busymum100 said…

    Howard,

    AS for the SIC group, I'll find out from friends - though I have to admit that I don't have many among the x-SIC boys.

    Pantai Sabak?? What's that? :-(
    We had great time there too :-)
    Too bad it's gone now.

    Talking about the OP teachers, now a couple other names cropped up. It's not easy, since I was in the junior high and they didn't teach me, but we have Potts, Foster, Roberts and Wolfe, at least..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home